From: Olaf Krause <gentoo_ac@××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Where should i ask Gentoo/Xen/hardware questions?
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2010 09:40:58
1 Hello,
2
3 first: where should I ask the following question?
4
5 We successfully operate some HP Proliant DL380 G3, using Gentoo
6 Xen-kernels as Dom0 and DomU.
7 Now i tried to upgrade to Generation 4 and 6:
8 * HP Proliant DL380 G4
9 * HP Proliant DL380 G6
10
11 Grub works fine. After selecting a kernel to boot, it is loaded and
12 starts operating and fails some lines later with a kernel panic. The
13 kernel seems not to find the HP SCSI controller (/dev/cciss/...).
14
15 I made sure, that the kernel has build in the needed drivers as
16 described here:
17 http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/HP_ProLiant_DL380_G5
18
19 Funny is, that the Gentoo boot images do work, for example
20 install-x86-minimal-20100216.iso.
21
22 I use the iso images to boot the system initially, initialize the SCSI
23 disks with fdsik and mkfs... and then mount the SCSI drives
24 (/dev/cciss/...), copy a working tarball-image, populate the filsystem
25 and then use the grub shell make it bootable.
26
27 Attached is a screen shot with the error message.
28
29 Best regards Olaf

20101006.kernel panic screenshot.png image/png