From: Maciej Grela <maciej.grela@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Where should i ask Gentoo/Xen/hardware questions?
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2010 10:07:43
1 2010/10/6 Olaf Krause <gentoo_ac@××××.de>:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > first: where should I ask the following question?
5 >
6 > We successfully operate some HP Proliant DL380 G3, using Gentoo Xen-kernels
7 > as Dom0 and DomU.
8 > Now i tried to upgrade to Generation 4 and 6:
9 > * HP Proliant DL380 G4
10 > * HP Proliant DL380 G6
11 >
12 > Grub works fine. After selecting a kernel to boot, it is loaded and starts
13 > operating and fails some lines later with a kernel panic. The kernel seems
14 > not to find the HP SCSI controller (/dev/cciss/...).
15 >
16 > I made sure, that the kernel has build in the needed drivers as described
17 > here:
18 >  http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/HP_ProLiant_DL380_G5
19 >
20 > Funny is, that the Gentoo boot images do work, for example
21 > install-x86-minimal-20100216.iso.
22 >
23 > I use the iso images to boot the system initially, initialize the SCSI disks
24 > with fdsik and mkfs... and then mount the SCSI drives (/dev/cciss/...), copy
25 > a working tarball-image, populate the filsystem and then use the grub shell
26 > make it bootable.
27 >
28 > Attached is a screen shot with the error message.
31 Is this screenshot from a domU or dom0 ? If it's from a domU then I
32 think that in Xen you have a different driver than cciss for the
33 disks.
34
35 If it's from a dom0, are you sure that you have the cciss driver
36 built-in instead of a module ? From the screenshot it seems that it's
37 not present at the point the kernel is booting.
40 Maciej Grela