From: Thomas Schmitt <scdbackup@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] k3b burning BD-Disk pretends to fail at 99.99%
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2013 22:02:35
1 Hi,
2
3 > Okay, then, is your patch necessary when using this command:
4 > growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/sr0=image.iso
5 > with a DVD?
6
7 No. I do not know about any growisofs flaws with DVD.
8
9 (Besides its -use-the-force-luke magic which is reserved
10 for those who read growisofs.c additionally to its man page.)
13 > Because I don't own any BluRay discs, or players.
14
15 The bug fix has an effect only if you submit a blank BD-R.
16 It is necessary if one cannot live with growisofs reporting error
17 and returning a non-zero exit value.
18
19 There are rumors that the inappropriate command spoils the burn.
20 But this is not very plausible because the Pseudo Overwrite
21 burn is already done when the error happens.
24 > I do remember that in the past I've experienced a similar error where it
25 > appeared to me that growisofs seemed not to close media, but the data on the
26 > DVD was fine, so I didn't pursue it.
27
28 That must have been something else.
29
30 Closing the medium should indeed happen with -dvd-compat.
31 But of course one cannot close DVD+RW, formatted DVD-RW, DVD-RAM,
32 or BD-RE ... and obviously not Pseudo Overwrite BD-R.
33
34 dvd+rw-mediainfo would have told what's up with the medium
35 after the burn. (It helps to have a copy of MMC specs at hand
36 when reading its output.)
39 My offer holds: I am willing to investigate any burn problems.
40 Be it with my own software or the one of others.
41 (I must restrict my offer insofar that i will not waste lots
42 of expensive one-time media for mistakes which i did not make
43 myself.)
44
45 A typical first experiment will be to use my own software
46 with the problematic combination of burner and medium.
47 This shall not mean that in the end i will urge people to
48 switch to my stuff. The goal will be to find out what's
49 wrong with the user's situation and how to possibly fix it.
52 Have a nice day :)
53
54 Thomas