From: Bruce Hill <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] k3b burning BD-Disk pretends to fail at 99.99%
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2013 21:25:45
1 On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 08:15:23PM +0200, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > > However, your patch is for growisofs, which in Gentoo comes from
5 > > app-cdr/dvd+rw-tools, so the proper place for such patch would be
6 > > <cdwrite@××××××××××××.org> per http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/ --
7 >
8 > On that list there was support by Andy Polykov until shortly
9 > after the bug in question was reported. A fixed release was
10 > promised but did not emerge. See
11 > http://lists.debian.org/cdwrite/2008/07/msg00092.html
14 > > IIRC you mentioned in another email being subscribed to that list.
15 >
16 > Yep. Until 2007 as user of growisofs. For a short while as
17 > friendly competitor. Now as its sentinel, so nobody has reason
18 > to regret having tried burning DVD on Linux.
21 > > Just curious...if you don't use Gentoo, why do you subscribe to
22 > > gentoo-user list?
23 >
24 > The topic came up from a side note on cdrkit's mailing list.
25 > The Fedora maintainer of growisofs asked whether i know more
26 > about the problem. I pointed to above post by Andy, re-read it
27 > and recognized that he left a treasure map to find the bug.
28 >
29 > After getting confirmation that the proposed fix works, i googled
30 > for similar bug reports in various distros.
31 >
32 > An archive of the gentoo-user list was among the found sites.
33 > My first mail to the list did not show up. So i subscribed a day
34 > later and sent it again.
35
36 Okay, then, is your patch necessary when using this command:
37 growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/sr0=image.iso
38
39 with a DVD? Or is this only applicable to BR? Because I don't own any BluRay
40 discs, or players.
41
42 If it's applicable to DVD, since I use the above command, you could send me
43 the patch and I'd apply it to app-cdr/dvd+rw-tools-7.1-r1 in Gentoo and give
44 it a test drive.
45
46 I do remember that in the past I've experienced a similar error where it
47 appeared to me that growisofs seemed not to close media, but the data on the
48 DVD was fine, so I didn't pursue it.
49
50 Cheers,
51 Bruce
52 --
53 Happy Penguin Computers >')
54 126 Fenco Drive ( \
55 Tupelo, MS 38801 ^^
57 662-269-2706 662-205-6424
58 http://happypenguincomputers.com/
59
60 A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
61 Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
62 A: Top-posting.
63 Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?
64
65 Don't top-post: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_post#Top-posting