From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] block for zfs-0.8.0 how to fix safely
Date: Tue, 28 May 2019 13:54:31
1 On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 4:35 AM Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Tue, 28 May 2019 04:04:23 -0400, John Covici wrote:
4 >
5 > > In my latest update, there is a hard block sys-kernel/spl-0.7.13 is
6 > > blocking 0.8.0. Can I unmerge the old one and still have access to my
7 > > pools while the new one is compiled. My whole system except /boot is
8 > > on zfs, this is wny I am asking, or should I do this one emerge from a
9 > > rescue disk?
10 >
11 > spl is now part of the zfs package, so you will still have it after
12 > updating. During the update, the module will still be in memory. If you
13 > reboot during the update, you will have a problem, I kept a backup copy
14 > of the spl modules just in case, or you could quickpkg spl.
15
16 The one file you really need is:
17 /lib/modules/4.19.46/extra/spl/spl.ko.gz
18 (or whatever version you're using).
19
20 I would personally do the switch during a kernel update, so that you
21 can leave your old modules around and boot the old kernel.
22
23 I'm honestly not sure if portage will leave the old kernel module in
24 place when doing the switch. Looking at my kernel directory I see old
25 spl modules so when re-emerging spl it isn't removing the old modules.
26 However, I also can't see any documented mechanism that would protect
27 kernel modules from unmerging. It could be an undocumented portage
28 feature (it does make sense to leave the old kernel modules around).
29
30 If you update an existing kernel in-place none of this will help as
31 the zfs bundled spl would overwrite the spl-bundled version. And of
32 course it wouldn't make sense to mix the two in a kernel anyway.
33
34 I'll see how it goes in a few months when I try out 0.8. As much as
35 I'm looking forward to a few of its features I'm really in no rush to
36 go trying new versions of filesystems...
39 Rich