From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: installing Gentoo on a 2007 Macbook
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 15:03:35
1 Am Tue, 20 Aug 2013 01:19:23 +0200
2 schrieb "Marc A. Kastner" <linux@×××××.org>:
3
4 > I used Linux on a couple of different MacBooks. Usually I had the best
5 > experience not using rEFInd as an intermediate layer, but as the EFI
6 > boot loader loading the kernel file directly. My setup is based on the
7 > ArchLinux Wiki article about it. Every time you update your kernel, you
8 > just need to copy the vmlinuz to your EFI partition in the right folder.
9 >
10 > http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/EFI_stub_kernel
11 > https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/UEFI_Bootloaders#Using_rEFInd
12
13 I tried using an EFI stub kernel, but the firmware does not seem to pick it
14 up. I suspect I will have to try blessing it again, but after rebooting into
15 the OS X 10.7 DVD yet again, it didn't find the SSD *again*. So I will get to
16 work on other things and try it again later tonight.
17
18 I mean, when you can't even install OS X on the hardware it's supposed to run
19 on... well, by now I'm just tired of trying to get it to work.
20
21 > When using EFI mode, I had a couple of problems, which I haven't had in
22 > BIOS mode. Depending on your model, it might not be possible to use
23 > brightness settings of your graphics card or using the integrated
24 > graphics card (if your model has a discrete one) anymore.
25
26 Are you talking about modern systems with two graphics cards? I read that using
27 BIOS compatibility mode there is problematic for battery life because then the
28 firmware will only expose the larger graphics card.
29
30 > Another hint for Linux on MBP: For Wifi, you should use the broadcom-sta
31 > Version 6.x which is still masked in portage. Older versions had a lot
32 > of latency, performance and disconnect issues on my systems.
33
34 I will remember that, once I actually get the damn thing to boot.
37 Marc Joliet
38 --
39 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
40 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup