From: Matthias Bethke <Matthias.Bethke@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Personal firewall for Linux?
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 10:31:36
1 Hi Matt,
2 on Monday, 2005-08-29 at 14:54:46, you wrote:
3 > I'm not trying to do anything complicated like protect a LAN or include
4 > a DMZ or run an ftp server or anything like that. I'm just looking for
5 > a quick and easy way to add another layer of protection to my desktop by
6 > closing all unused ports.
7
8 Well, if they are unused, they are closed, no need to worry about them.
9 The only thing you'd need some packet filter (a firewall is something
10 different, although the term sounds so good that the marketroids have
11 established it even for simpler things than iptables) for is if you want
12 *restrictions* on some ports, like to open your web server to the LAN
13 but not the internet.
14 On Windows, the situation is a little different as you don't have a lot
15 of control about what program opens what ports if you don't know your
16 system inside-out. And many programs love to connect to their masters
17 and tell them all kinds of stuff about your system, so you'd usually
18 want to block these on an application level.
19 If you just want something that pops up once in a while and gives scary
20 messages, there's the ususal Perl one-liner :)
21
22 perl -e 'use Tk;while(1){sleep(rand(290)+10);new
23 MainWindow(title,"Boo!")->Button(-text,"HackAttack!!!one!\n\nBlock")->pack;MainLoop}'
24
25 cheers!
26 Matthias
27 --
28 I prefer encrypted and signed messages. KeyID: 90CF8389
29 Fingerprint: 8E 1F 10 81 A4 66 29 46 B9 8A B9 E2 09 9F 3B 91