From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fragmentation of my drives. Curious mostly
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 15:08:08
1 On 28 Nov 2008, at 11:46, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > On Friday 28 November 2008 13:14:42 Dale wrote:
4 >> If this is a little high, what would be the best way to defrag it?
5 >
6 > By not defragging it.
7 >
8 > It's not Windows. Windows boxes needs defragging not because
9 > fragmentation is
10 > a huge problem in itself, but because windows filesystems are a
11 > steaming mess
12 > of cr@p that do little right and most things wrong. Defrag treats the
13 > symptom, not the cause :-)
14
15 I have occasionally heard this said about the Mac's HFS filing system,
16 too - that "it's not windows", it doesn't need defragging, Apple
17 provides no tools for defragging (true) and that the benefits of
18 defragging are mythical.
19
20 Whilst I have to agree that many of the system repair & maintenance
21 "techniques" I've read used by well-established Mac "technicians" are
22 clearly smoke & mirrors, I have myself noticed REMARKABLE performance
23 improvements by running iDefrag.
24
25 > Reiser tends to self-balance itself out. What is especially
26 > noteworthy is that
27 > none of the general purpose Linux filesystems provide a defrag
28 > utility.
29 > Theodore 'Tso and Hans Reiser are both exceptional programmers, if
30 > there was
31 > a need for such a tool they would assuredly have written one. They
32 > did not,
33 > so there probably isn't.
34
35 I understood that ReiserFS's trees could become out-of-balance,
36 resulting in performance loss, and that the way to deal with this was
37 to tar the contents of the drive to another file-system and then untar
38 them back.
39
40 More information on the subject - beyond the sort of idle chitchat one
41 finds on lists like this one - is not terribly obvious, but Wikipedia
42 suggests I may possibly be correct:
43
44 Also, ReiserFS had a problem with very fast filesystem aging when
45 compared to other filesystems - in several usage scenarios
46 filesystem
47 performance lowered dramatically with time.
48 ...
49 There are no programs to specifically defragment a ReiserFS file
50 system, although tools have been written to automatically copy the
51 contents of fragmented files hoping that more contiguous blocks of
52 free space can be found. However, Reiser4 will have a repacker that
53 optimizes file fragmentation.
54
55 (It also seems to suggest that tarring the files elsewhere &
56 reformatting the drive is not the best solution. Using `rm` to remove
57 everything from the filesystem may do the trick, but you might want to
58 dd zeros onto it before reformatting to be sure).
59
60 Stroller.