From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: encoding MP3 files for iPod
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2006 10:06:37
1 On Sunday 08 October 2006 05:39, Adrian <linuxgn2@××××××××××××.com> wrote
2 about '[gentoo-user] OT: encoding MP3 files for iPod':
3 > I have acquired an iPodNano and have been playing about with that.
4 > I've been able to do everything I need to do using GNUpod, yet there is
5 > an oddity.Any MP3 file I encode on my computer will not play.
6 >
7 > Suggestions?
8
9 Most likely problems are (1) bitrate (2) CBR vs. VBR and (3) metadata
10 location.
11
12 I don't know exact specs, but the same thing will happen on my iFP-799 if I
13 use a bitrate that is either too high or too low. My iFP also supports
14 VBR, but some devices may not.
15
16 If you know you are using a bitrate that is supported by your nano, try
17 stripping off all the ID3 tags (and any other metadata), it could be that
18 the contents or location are confusing it. I've fairly sure metadata can
19 be stored either at the beginning or end of the file (I know FLAC can do
20 this) and it's possible, albeit unlikely, that the nano only works with
21 one of those locations.
24 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
25 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
26 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
27 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh