From: darren kirby <bulliver@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: encoding MP3 files for iPod
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2006 17:40:06
1 quoth the Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.:
2 I've fairly sure metadata can
3 > be stored either at the beginning or end of the file (I know FLAC can do
4 > this) and it's possible, albeit unlikely, that the nano only works with
5 > one of those locations.
6
7 MP3 Id3v1 tags are at the end, ID3v2 tags are near the begining. Some files
8 have both.
9
10 As for Flac, this is not true. As one who recently wrote a Ruby library for
11 parsing Flac metadata (and thus read the Flac spec[1]) I can say that all
12 metadata, including the VORBIS_COMMENT block are before the stream contents
13 (ie: the audio bits). The various metadata blocks can be in arbitrary order
14 but always before the actual music data.
15
16 [1] http://flac.sourceforge.net/format.html
17
18 -d
19 --
20 darren kirby :: Part of the problem since 1976 :: http://badcomputer.org
21 "...the number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected..."
22 - Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, June 1972
23 --
24 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list