From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Serial modem and permissions problem.
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 19:13:04
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 21:47:40 -0600, Dale wrote:
5 >> OK. Here's my update. I changed the config file, the 50-udev.rules
6 >> file, back to the way it was when it was updated.
9 > The next time you update udev, your changes will be overwritten. Changes
10 > should go in 10-local.rules.
13 Thanks. I forgot about that little detail. I better find a how to
14 somewhere.
17 >> I then added myself
18 >> to the uucp group and rebooted. Well, my UPS didn't like that one bit.
19 >> So I added nut to the uucp group too. Then I rebooted again.
20 >> Everything *appears* to be working fine. Sorry for all the rebooting
21 >> but they are serial ports.
24 > If your serial port driver is built as a module, you can avoid the reboot
25 > by rmmodding and modprobing the driver. The second reboot was unnecessary
26 > anyway, restarting nut should have picked up the group changes.
31 The only module I have is nvidia. I build everything into my kernel
32 that I can. I was hoping there was a way to sort of "restart" or
33 "reload" udev but I couldn't find one and nobody posted one either. I
34 guess there is now two reasons you may have to reboot.
35
36 So far, it is working fine though.
37
38 Thanks