From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] non-sudo way for user to run shutdown -h now? (or any equivalent)
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 17:35:28
1 Hi,
2 I'm trying to get my mythfrontend box to allow a user to shut the
3 machine down without the use of a keyboard. We are only using remote
4 controls. suso doesn't seem to be an option because it requires a
5 password. (AFAICT)
6
7 Is there some other way that I could make this work?
8
9 I took a look at the permissions on /sbin/shutdown itself. It seems
10 to be executable by everyone and still doesn't allow anyone other than
11 to run it. Is there a way to make that program executable by everyone
12 so that sudo is not required? Or maybe there's some similar program to
13 shutdown that I could emerge?
14
15 There's only two accounts on this machine - root & mythtv - and
16 it's within the mythtv account that I want to be able to shut the
17 machine down using a remote control only.
18
19 Thanks for any and all ideas.
20
21 Cheers,