From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] pm-suspend problem
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2015 00:39:27
1 151012 Philip Webb wrote:
2 > I want to be able to suspend my machine to RAM overnight or when I'm out.
3 > The pkg to use seems to be Pm-utils, which I've installed.
4 > 'pm-suspend' does suspend, but only briefly :
5 > after 5 s , it restarts automatically & everything is back as before.
6 > The log file shows this happening quite clearly.
7 > I'm using Fluxbox + OpenRC ; 'suspend to Ram' is compiled in the kernel.
8
9 I've done further Google research.
10 Many other people have had similar problems over the past few years
11 & the only regular suggestion is that there's a problem with ECHI etc :
12 I haven't tried following that up, as it's not recent.
13
14 I tested Mint 17.2 Xfce , which I have installed in another partition
15 & which is very quick'n'slick : suspend has the same effect as with Gentoo.
16 I've tried changing a few BIOS settings with no apparent effect,
17 but -- mysteriously -- Gentoo (but not Mint) is now actually suspending,
18 but doesn't wake up when the power button or a key is pressed, as it should ;
19 I can power off & restart normally afterwards.
20 'dmesg' + 'syslog' simply show an immediate restart after the suspend.
21
22 The result of all this is that I can't suspend to RAM & restart later :
23 that merely means that I have to repopulate my workspaces after each reboot,
24 but that's something I know by rote & can easily live with.
25
26 However, the one good + surprising outcome concerns the I/net.
27 Getting back in touch with my ISP can be slow + unpredictable,
28 tho' it always works after a few tries, which involve powering everything off.
29 However, I've discovered that if I don't switch off the router,
30 'dhcpcd' simply reconnects after a reboot (in Mint too)
31 & the I/net is immediately available : that's what I really care about.
32
33 So I can power the machine off while I'm asleep or out
34 iff I don't switch off the power-bar which also feeds the router.
35
36 If anyone has further thoughts on this subject,
37 they mb of more general interest, but for now I can carry on.
41 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
42 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
43 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca