From: pk <peterk2@××××××××.se>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo wiping out Gtk 2 support from packages that support it?
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 20:03:35
1 On 2011-07-06 21:37, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > Holy shit, that attitude from Samuli sucks big balls big time.
4
5 Yes, fully agree.
6
7 > He's always come across to me as an OK dev, never seen him pull THAT
8 > stunt before.
9
10 I've seen it, although he does come across as an OK dev to me as well.
11 He can argue technically, when he feels like it...
12
13 > Devs get a certain amount of leeway and tolerance from users because
14 > of what they do as volunteers. But there's a line somewhere and in my
15 > view arbitrarily deciding to obsolete a toolkit just because you feel
16
17 Yes, but what can we do about it? Force him (I assume he's volunteering
18 and is not payed for his work) to continue supporting it? Well, I assume
19 we could pay him... or something.
20
21 > like it crosses that like. Following that up with a "fuck off and stop
22 > re-opening the ticket" is even worse.
23
24 Yes, really bad.
25
26 > You'll note I used the verb "obsolete" and not "deprecate", that is
27 > deliberate. He has not deprecated gtk+-2 in spite of naming it that,
28 > he is trying to obsolete it without going through the gradual
29 > dwindling away that deprecation is designed to encourage.
30
31 Worrisome.
32
33 Best regards