From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo wiping out Gtk 2 support from packages that support it?
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 19:40:54
1 On Wednesday 06 July 2011 19:23:51 pk did opine thusly:
2 > On 2011-07-06 18:35, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 > > And what is happening to the developers lately? Some of them
4 > > have become hostile and arrogant against their own users.
5 >
6 > I noted the same from the same guy a while back. Really "grumpy" and
7 > you can't argue with him either... But then again, there's nothing
8 > stopping either of us from becoming developers and to be friendly
9 > towards our fellow Gentooers... Well, except time that I don't have
10 > to invest into doing that so I'm very grateful that people
11 > (developers) have time to invest. So: Kudos to the developers
12 > (grumpy or not)!
13 >
14 > "I'm late, I'm late! For a very important date!..." ;-)
15 >
16 > PS. Gentoo infrastructure also allows supporting your own ebuilds...
17
18 Holy shit, that attitude from Samuli sucks big balls big time.
19
20 He's always come across to me as an OK dev, never seen him pull THAT
21 stunt before.
22
23 Devs get a certain amount of leeway and tolerance from users because
24 of what they do as volunteers. But there's a line somewhere and in my
25 view arbitrarily deciding to obsolete a toolkit just because you feel
26 like it crosses that like. Following that up with a "fuck off and stop
27 re-opening the ticket" is even worse.
28
29 You'll note I used the verb "obsolete" and not "deprecate", that is
30 deliberate. He has not deprecated gtk+-2 in spite of naming it that,
31 he is trying to obsolete it without going through the gradual
32 dwindling away that deprecation is designed to encourage.
36 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com