From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo wiping out Gtk 2 support from packages that support it?
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2011 17:44:11
1 On 07/06/11 15:37, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 06 July 2011 19:23:51 pk did opine thusly:
3 >> On 2011-07-06 18:35, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
4 >>> And what is happening to the developers lately? Some of them
5 >>> have become hostile and arrogant against their own users.
6 >>
7 >> I noted the same from the same guy a while back. Really "grumpy" and
8 >> you can't argue with him either... But then again, there's nothing
9 >> stopping either of us from becoming developers and to be friendly
10 >> towards our fellow Gentooers... Well, except time that I don't have
11 >> to invest into doing that so I'm very grateful that people
12 >> (developers) have time to invest. So: Kudos to the developers
13 >> (grumpy or not)!
14 >>
15 >> "I'm late, I'm late! For a very important date!..." ;-)
16 >>
17 >> PS. Gentoo infrastructure also allows supporting your own ebuilds...
18 >
19 > Holy shit, that attitude from Samuli sucks big balls big time.
20 >
21 > He's always come across to me as an OK dev, never seen him pull THAT
22 > stunt before.
23
24 For what it's worth, I was expecting much worse. In his defense, the
25 commenters list a bunch of bugs in *other* packages as the reason why
26 they want to retain gtk2 support in the gnome-mplayer ebuild.
27
28 Per comment 21, the Gnome team suggests that packages use the latest
29 version of gtk that works.
30
31 The gnome-mplayer package is supported on the alpha, amd64, ppc, ppc64,
32 x86, and x86-fbsd arches. Adding a gtk2 USE flag means that the testing
33 load would be doubled; that the maintainer would have to recompile the
34 package six times on six different machines to make sure that it runs
35 with gtk2.
36
37 Then, to go stable (in addition to now being tied to the stable gtk2),
38 the arch testers would have to re-test on all six of those arches.
39
40 So, the additional burden isn't so small as it's made out to be in the
41 comments.