From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo wiping out Gtk 2 support from packages that support it?
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 20:43:57
1 On Wednesday 06 July 2011 22:02:03 pk did opine thusly:
2 > > Devs get a certain amount of leeway and tolerance from users
3 > > because of what they do as volunteers. But there's a line
4 > > somewhere and in my view arbitrarily deciding to obsolete a
5 > > toolkit just because you feel
6 >
7 > Yes, but what can we do about it? Force him (I assume he's
8 > volunteering and is not payed for his work) to continue supporting
9 > it? Well, I assume we could pay him... or something.
10
11 Well, there's really only one thing that appeals to your average dev
12 in any area:
13
14 Treat them like a dev and appeal to their better judgement.
15
16 One can recognise that a dev is acting like a total dick, but pointing
17 it out gets you nowhere. I refer you to my vast experience of
18 attempting to do the same with the devs I work with :-) It also
19 applies to sysadmins, people who (embarrassingly) point out that I am
20 a complete jerk lots of the time tend to get nowhere to.
21
22 Reasoned, well supported arguments coupled with a little ego-stroking
23 is what motivates most devs. Nikos' last comment on the bug is a good
24 one - asking for a list of supported gnome apps in the tree that
25 require gtk+-2.
26
27 It does require that one put aside one's urges to pull this off. Price
28 of the trade we work in, I suppose.
32 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com