From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo wiping out Gtk 2 support from packages that support it?
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 22:54:37
1 On Wednesday 06 July 2011 22:41:25 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 06 July 2011 22:02:03 pk did opine thusly:
3 > > > Devs get a certain amount of leeway and tolerance from users> > because
4 of what they do as volunteers. But there's a line> > somewhere and in my view
5 arbitrarily deciding to obsolete a> > toolkit just because you feel>
6 > > Yes, but what can we do about it? Force him (I assume he's> volunteering
7 and is not payed for his work) to continue supporting> it? Well, I assume we
8 could pay him... or something.
9 > Well, there's really only one thing that appeals to your average devin any
10 area:
11 > Treat them like a dev and appeal to their better judgement.
12 > One can recognise that a dev is acting like a total dick, but pointingit out
13 gets you nowhere. I refer you to my vast experience ofattempting to do the
14 same with the devs I work with :-) It alsoapplies to sysadmins, people who
15 (embarrassingly) point out that I ama complete jerk lots of the time tend to
16 get nowhere to.
17 > Reasoned, well supported arguments coupled with a little ego-strokingis what
18 motivates most devs. Nikos' last comment on the bug is a goodone - asking for
19 a list of supported gnome apps in the tree thatrequire gtk+-2.
20 > It does require that one put aside one's urges to pull this off. Priceof the
21 trade we work in, I suppose.
22
23 and/or take the whole mess to -dev...
24
25 I couldn't care less about gtk stuff - but forcing gtk3 just because - and
26 that on a package where gtk3 is the worse choice... not a smart move.
29 #163933