From: David Miller <david3d@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] VPN?
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 04:19:39
1 I've been having alot of luck with openvpn it's ssl based rather than
2 ipsec. I have found it to be easier to setup and less confusing and
3 it has clients for various platforms including windows...which is not
4 always the easiest platform to use IPSEC with unless you go with a
5 commercial client. You will need to setup a certificate authority and
6 understand the basics of openssl the rest is pretty simple. It even
7 works behind a NAT router or firewall. If the vpn connection is lost
8 it will re-establish it's connection automatically once it's routable
9 again. This works for both dynamic ip clients and even the server as
10 long as you're using some sort of deamon to update dyndns info.
11
12 For the most part, atleast in my area, I find comcast IP's to be very
13 stable. My IP hasn't changed in years. My ip least just gets
14 renewed.
15 --
16 David