From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Going ~x86?
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 16:05:49
1 On Wednesday 11 November 2009 17:21:26 Alex Schuster wrote:
2 > Hi there!
3
4 > I wonder if it's worth the trouble. I read here that running a full ~x86
5 > system would probably be easier. And I'd like to try, but while going from
6 > x86 to ~x86 is easy, the other way is quite hard, isn't it? If possible at
7 > all.
8
9 yes, it is easier to just go ~x86. Yes, it is very very very hard to go back -
10 easier to reinstall
11
12 > What about stability problems? I'd expect some, as the ~x86 stuff is not
13 > so fully tested. What are your experiences? And, do you also get blockers
14 > from time to time that are hard to solve?
15
16 I get a few problems now and then, mostly blockers from incompatible packages.
17 But note that you are going to get exactly the same thing when those packages
18 move to stable.
19
20 > BTW, when I test this and enable ~x86 in make.conf, I first need to set
21 > the extras use flag for udev, and then I get these blockers. So I have to
22 > go to openrc, okay. And again trouble with my ati drivers. But maybe this
23 > will be over once I have completed the switch.
24
25 There are several documents you should read first at gentoo.org, all related
26 to upgrades. They are in the docs section, the page with the big long list:
27
28 - the switch to openrc
29 - the most recent X.org upgrade
30 - installing KDE4
31 - the horrendous amoun of work to get x and hal working if it doesn't work out
32 the box
33
34 Deal with these blocks individually for best results:
35
36 > [blocks B ] <sys-apps/sysvinit-2.86-r11 ("<sys-apps/sysvinit-2.86-
37 > r11" is blocking sys-apps/openrc-0.5.2-r2)
38
39 emerge -av1 openrc
40
41 read the elog message and do *exactly* what it says
42
43 > [blocks B ] >=x11-base/xorg-server-1.7.0 (">=x11-base/xorg-
44 > server-1.7.0" is blocking x11-drivers/ati-drivers-9.9-r2, x11-drivers/ati-
45 > drivers-9.10)
46
47 unmerge ati-drivers, make sure VIDEO_CARDS is correct in make.conf and merge X
48
49 then remerge ALL your drivers. The elog tells you how to proceed
50
51 emerge -avuND world
52
53 Everything you run into will be solved using the normal fix-my-gentoo process
54 :-)
58 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com