From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: alternative to thunderbird?
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 00:58:01
1 On 02/20/2012 01:33 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 19:11:07 +0100
3 > Jorge Martínez López <jorgeml@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Hi!
6 >>
7 >> I might be a little bit on the radical side, but with seeing the whole
8 >> KDEPIM debacle I migrated to GNOME 3 and Evolution. It took me some
9 >> time to get used to it but I like it.
12 > No, I wouldn't say that's radical. I would say that is common sense.
13 >
14 > A core piece of KDE didn't work for you, and you need that core piece
15 > to work right. You probably need and want to work in a consistent DE
16 > also.
17 >
18 > So, the thing to do is to move to something that does work. Being that
19 > you need a complete DE, you tried out the first available option -
20 > Gnome.
21 >
22 > And you found that worked for you.
23 >
24 > I'm a classic Gnome-hater myself, but I can't find the error in that
25 > logic
26
27 Actually I loved kde2 and hated gnome1, but my affections started shifting
28 when kde3 and gnome2 stabilized.
29
30 A month or two ago I thought gnome3 had stabilized enough that I updated
31 my everyday gnome2 work machine to ~x86, which includes a mostly-gnome3
32 environment.
33
34 Last week I decided to regress to x86/gnome2 because there are just a few
35 things that almost-but-not-quite work in gnome3, and I just can't/won't
36 function without them.
37
38 Something as trivial as double-clicking on a date in the gnome calendar
39 applet no longer opens the calendar function of evolution. What a dumb
40 fscking stupid regression for a major DE to tolerate when it would be so
41 simple to make it work like it already does in gnome2. I really think
42 I could probably hack together a patch by myself, the code is so simple,
43 but I can't see any good reason to waste my time on it.
44
45 Likewise for debugging the kdepim mess when it was already working well
46 in the old kde. What ARE they thinking? Reminds me of our US Congress,
47 all advertising and no product.