From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Quoting styles
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 15:59:51
1 Dale schreef:
2 > Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Sometimes this 'educating' may sound much harsher than ment - but
5 >> don't forget, that for a lot of people on this (or every public)
6 >> mailing list english is only the second or third language - and
7 >> hitting the right 'tone' is not easy, if you are not a native
8 >> speaker.
11 > Thanks, I needed that. Can I assume english is not your native
12 > language? The writing was fine, the name gave it away though.
13
14 Tip: the name doesn't give it away, the email address (in combination
15 with the name) does.
16
17 (Sorry to use you as an example, Volker, but you're a good one for this).
18
19 Dale, when reading mail in Mozilla (which of course I know you're
20 doing), you might notice in the window where the mail content actually
21 appears, next to the word "Subject" in the bar above the text of the
22 mail, there's a little white box with a plus sign in it.
23
24 That bar, for this mail, probably says:
25
26 "Subject: blah blah blah _Holly Bostick_ (as a link, that if you
27 click it, will open up a compsition window addressed to me, so you can
28 curse my name or tell me what a bi-atch I am, or whatever :-) ).
29
30 The thing is, the designers of this mail program figure you don't
31 necessarily want more information than that right at the outset; you
32 most likely want to read the mail-- and that is most likely true.
33
34 But you can easily get more information (though still simplified, unless
35 you change certain other settings), by clicking that little white box
36 next to the word "Subject".
37
38 If you do so, the bar containing the *mail header* will be expanded
39 (taking up some of the display room of the mail itself, which is why
40 it's normally not expanded) and you will be able to see the email
41 address of the sender (as well as some other information. There is even
42 more information contained in the headers, but these are 'Normal'
43 headers; to see all the information, you would have to display "Full"
44 headers, which is not necessary atm).
45
46 So, getting back to Volker, yes, he has a very German name-- but anybody
47 can have a very German name, if they're of German descent.
48
49 But if you select a mail from him, and click that little white plus
50 sign, you'll see that his email address is
51
52 volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de
53
54 I'm sure you know that ".de" means Germany, just as the ".nl" at the end
55 of my email address indicates that I'm in The Netherlands.
56
57 A guy with a German name, posting from Germany-- that's proof enough
58 for me that Volker is in fact a native German, which of course means
59 that his native language would be German. You'd never know it to talk to
60 him on the list, though :-) .
61
62 Anyway, this doesn't always work (for example, I'd never be able to
63 guess where you're living from your email address, with its anonymous
64 ".net" suffix), but it's a good place to start.
65
66 Holly
69 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list