From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Quoting styles
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 14:55:49
1 Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
2
3 >Hi,
4 >
5 >nobody wants to hurt, harm or insult you.
6 >
7 >It is just that 95% of all public mailing lists have this two simple rules:
8 >no top posting
9 >no html
10 >
11 >A lot of people don't even read html mails, some even get angry about them, so
12 >when somebody tells you, not to send them, (s)he does it to help you.
13 >The less people reading your mails, the less usefull answers you get.
14 >And some mailing lists are very harsh - one html mail and you are the ass of
15 >the week for them.
16 >
17 >Plus, not using html does spare you and everybody else some time
18 >sending/receiving your mails, so it is a double win for everybody when you
19 >don't use it.
20 >
21 >That is all.
22 >
23 >You are, of course, free to send plain text and html, but as I said, most
24 >people don't read html mails anyway, so it is just some wasted bandwith.
25 >
26 >When you are exchanging mails off list, it is a completly different topic. If
27 >your friends read html-mails and don't mind receiving them - or even like
28 >them, you are free to send them as you like.
29 >
30 >But mailing lists are a little bit different - because there are a lot of
31 >receivers.
32 >
33 >And did I mention, that some people discard html-mails automatically as spam?
34 >
35 >So, when you got told not to top post or use html mails, (s)he didn't want to
36 >do anything 'bad' to you - the opposite is true, (s)he wants to help you to
37 >reach as many other users as possible - which should be what you want, right?
38 >
39 >Sometimes this 'educating' may sound much harsher than ment - but don't
40 >forget, that for a lot of people on this (or every public) mailing list
41 >english is only the second or third language - and hitting the right 'tone'
42 >is not easy, if you are not a native speaker.
43 >
44 >So don't feel bad - we all just want to help you, to make the mailing list as
45 >productive and helpfull for you as possible.
46 >
47 >Glück Auf
48 >Volker
52 Thanks, I needed that. Can I assume english is not your native
53 language? The writing was fine, the name gave it away though. I do
54 like to read those who have bad english sometimes. It may take me a
55 minute to figure it out but they need help too. Most would just pass
56 them by and not even try to help.
57
58 I'm getting there.
59