From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Quoting styles
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 14:26:28
1 Hi,
2
3 nobody wants to hurt, harm or insult you.
4
5 It is just that 95% of all public mailing lists have this two simple rules:
6 no top posting
7 no html
8
9 A lot of people don't even read html mails, some even get angry about them, so
10 when somebody tells you, not to send them, (s)he does it to help you.
11 The less people reading your mails, the less usefull answers you get.
12 And some mailing lists are very harsh - one html mail and you are the ass of
13 the week for them.
14
15 Plus, not using html does spare you and everybody else some time
16 sending/receiving your mails, so it is a double win for everybody when you
17 don't use it.
18
19 That is all.
20
21 You are, of course, free to send plain text and html, but as I said, most
22 people don't read html mails anyway, so it is just some wasted bandwith.
23
24 When you are exchanging mails off list, it is a completly different topic. If
25 your friends read html-mails and don't mind receiving them - or even like
26 them, you are free to send them as you like.
27
28 But mailing lists are a little bit different - because there are a lot of
29 receivers.
30
31 And did I mention, that some people discard html-mails automatically as spam?
32
33 So, when you got told not to top post or use html mails, (s)he didn't want to
34 do anything 'bad' to you - the opposite is true, (s)he wants to help you to
35 reach as many other users as possible - which should be what you want, right?
36
37 Sometimes this 'educating' may sound much harsher than ment - but don't
38 forget, that for a lot of people on this (or every public) mailing list
39 english is only the second or third language - and hitting the right 'tone'
40 is not easy, if you are not a native speaker.
41
42 So don't feel bad - we all just want to help you, to make the mailing list as
43 productive and helpfull for you as possible.
44
45 Glück Auf
46 Volker
49 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list