From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone switched to eudev yet?
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2012 02:39:54
1 Bruce Hill wrote:
2 > On Mon, Dec 24, 2012 at 06:29:07PM -0600, »Q« wrote:
3 >> On Mon, 24 Dec 2012 17:04:13 -0600
4 >> Bruce Hill <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> Gentoo had mkinitrd once upon a time, but it's now in attic.
7 >>> Somewhere, sometime, for some reason, initramfs (inital ram
8 >>> filesystem) became vogue for the Gentoo camp, rather than initrd
9 >>> (initial ram disk image), and mkinitrd got retired.
10 >> Is there Gentoo documentation for creating initramfs without using
11 >> dracut? I could only find documentation for doing it *with* dracut,
12 >> and that procedure required using genkernel. Surely Gentoo must have
13 >> an initramfs guide for non-genkernel users, but I couldn't find one.
14 > Do you understand that initrd.gz and initramfs are *not* the same thing?
17 Don't they sort of *do* the same thing? Different method but still a
18 boot up helper thingy. This is why I started calling them init thingy.
19 There are a few init thingys and I just lump them all together since
20 they sort of serve the same function but in a different way.
21
22 Feel free to set me straight tho. As long as you don't tell me my
23 system is broken and has not been able to boot for the last 9 years
24 without one of those things. ROFL
25
26 Dale
27
31 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!