From: Bruce Hill <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone switched to eudev yet?
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2012 02:05:01
1 On Mon, Dec 24, 2012 at 06:29:07PM -0600, »Q« wrote:
2 > On Mon, 24 Dec 2012 17:04:13 -0600
3 > Bruce Hill <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 > > Gentoo had mkinitrd once upon a time, but it's now in attic.
6 > > Somewhere, sometime, for some reason, initramfs (inital ram
7 > > filesystem) became vogue for the Gentoo camp, rather than initrd
8 > > (initial ram disk image), and mkinitrd got retired.
9 >
10 > Is there Gentoo documentation for creating initramfs without using
11 > dracut? I could only find documentation for doing it *with* dracut,
12 > and that procedure required using genkernel. Surely Gentoo must have
13 > an initramfs guide for non-genkernel users, but I couldn't find one.
14
15 Do you understand that initrd.gz and initramfs are *not* the same thing?
16 --
17 Happy Penguin Computers >')
18 126 Fenco Drive ( \
19 Tupelo, MS 38801 ^^