From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Optional /usr merge in Gentoo
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 20:01:24
1 On Mon, August 19, 2013 12:55, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Mon, 19 Aug 2013 11:17:06 +0100, Stroller wrote:
3 >
4 >> Here's a short, very in-comprehensive list of software we are aware
5 >> of that currently are not able to provide the full set of functionality
6 >> when /usr is split off and not pre-mounted at boot:
7 >> udev-pci-db/udev-usb-db and all rules depending on this (using the
8 >> PCI/USB database in /usr/share), PulseAudio, NetworkManager,
9 >> ModemManager, udisks, libatasmart, usb_modeswitch, gnome-color-manager,
10 >> usbmuxd, ALSA, D-Bus, CUPS, Plymouth, LVM, hplip, multipath, Argyll,
11 >> VMWare, the locale logic of most programs and a lot of other stuff. [1]
12 >
13 > How much of that is needed before the contents of /etc/fstab are
14 > mounted? I certainly don't need to run a desktop, used a 3G modem, play
15 > sounds or load a virtual machine before then. Yes, LVM may be needed, but
16 > the needed parts are in /sbin anyway, so that is a red herring too.
17
18 It is a red herring.
19 I currently use an initramfs, but that is because I decided to put "/" on
20 LVM as well.
21 When I had "/" as a normal partition and /usr on LVM, there were no issues
22 with booting. Currently, with the initramfs, I get errors about / and /usr
23 not being able to umount during shutdown.
26 Joost