From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Optional /usr merge in Gentoo
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 10:56:06
1 On Mon, 19 Aug 2013 11:17:06 +0100, Stroller wrote:
2
3 > Here's a short, very in-comprehensive list of software we are aware
4 > of that currently are not able to provide the full set of functionality
5 > when /usr is split off and not pre-mounted at boot:
6 > udev-pci-db/udev-usb-db and all rules depending on this (using the
7 > PCI/USB database in /usr/share), PulseAudio, NetworkManager,
8 > ModemManager, udisks, libatasmart, usb_modeswitch, gnome-color-manager,
9 > usbmuxd, ALSA, D-Bus, CUPS, Plymouth, LVM, hplip, multipath, Argyll,
10 > VMWare, the locale logic of most programs and a lot of other stuff. [1]
11
12 How much of that is needed before the contents of /etc/fstab are
13 mounted? I certainly don't need to run a desktop, used a 3G modem, play
14 sounds or load a virtual machine before then. Yes, LVM may be needed, but
15 the needed parts are in /sbin anyway, so that is a red herring too.
16
17 I understand the need, even desire, of binary distros to cover all bases
18 by taking the safer option, but Gentoo is about choice and all reasonable
19 choices should be permitted. It comes down to what the council means by
20 "not supported". If it means "will not work" that will cause problems for
21 some, but if it means "you have to work it out for yourself", well,
22 what's the point of a community if we can't work it out between us?
26 Neil Bothwick
27
28 Death to all fanatics!