From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Optional /usr merge in Gentoo
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 10:18:02
1 On 19 August 2013, at 10:31, pk wrote:
2 > ... The problem I have, as an engineer, is
3 > that "everybody" says that a separate /usr is broken, that sysvinit is
4 > broken without explaining why. In order to fix a problem you need to
5 > know what is broken...
6
7 Here's a short, very in-comprehensive list of software we are aware of that
8 currently are not able to provide the full set of functionality when /usr
9 is split off and not pre-mounted at boot: udev-pci-db/udev-usb-db and all
10 rules depending on this (using the PCI/USB database in /usr/share),
11 PulseAudio, NetworkManager, ModemManager, udisks, libatasmart,
12 usb_modeswitch, gnome-color-manager, usbmuxd, ALSA, D-Bus, CUPS, Plymouth,
13 LVM, hplip, multipath, Argyll, VMWare, the locale logic of most programs
14 and a lot of other stuff. [1]
15
16 I honestly don't have a horse in this race, I don't much care one way or the other.
17
18 I tend to like things "the old fashioned way", I like things simple, and I like to keep doing things the way I know.
19
20 I hate the whole initrd thing, but I tend to slap most everything on a single partition, anyway.
21
22 I could be persuaded either way, were there compelling arguments, but you just undermine your own position by pretending that the reasons for the migration are somehow fictional.
23
24 Stroller.
27 [1] http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/separate-usr-is-broken/