From: pk <peterk2@××××××××.se>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Optional /usr merge in Gentoo
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 09:32:18
1 On 2013-08-19 00:49, Dale wrote:
2
3 > Picking random message sort of. Isn't eudev still going to support a
4 > separate /usr? That is my understanding. If eudev is not then I may
5 > have to reconsider some things myself here.
6
7 Yes, that is my understanding as well. But the "decision" to not support
8 a separate /usr lies higher up in the system hierarchy (as I understand
9 it). Gentoo as a system will not support a separate /usr if we are to
10 believe the conversation (I haven't seen any official notice of this
11 though). That is the sad part. The problem I have, as an engineer, is
12 that "everybody" says that a separate /usr is broken, that sysvinit is
13 broken without explaining why. In order to fix a problem you need to
14 know what is broken... The people who claims the brokenness are, imo,
15 hand waving and they've managed to convince higher uppers in the Gentoo
16 infrastructure (as it seems). I guess if you repeat something often
17 enough it becomes a "truth" or said person(s) just agrees to stop the
18 nagging.
19
20 Best regards
21