From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Network manager for laptop
Date: Fri, 02 May 2008 14:47:41
1 On Fri, 2008-05-02 at 11:41 -0300, Daniel da Veiga wrote:
2 > I've been struggling with network managing in my laptop for some time
3 > now. There's no decent way to keep it on config files. I connect to a
4 > LOT of completely different wired and wireless networks.
5 >
6 > I'm using Gnome, but I have all KDE libraries as dependencies for some
7 > stuff. The machine is an Asus EEE 701 with an Atheros card. I'm using
8 > ndiswrapper trying to avoid patching the madwifi drivers, waiting for
9 > the official commit. My first try was NetworkManager, beautiful tool,
10 > allowed me to manage my wired and open wireless connections fine, but
11 > once I need WPA for wireless at the University, it failed on me. It
12 > seems it can't talk to wpa_supplicant the right way. One possible fix
13 > would be downgrade to version 0.5.4 of wpa_supplicant, but its not in
14 > portage anymore, so I quit.
15
16 Where does it say that the NetworkManager needs a downgraded version of
17 wpa_supplicant? The reason that I ask is that I use NetworkManager on
18 my laptop and it's been great.. except for at work where we use
19 Enterprise WPA or whatever it's called. I haven't been able to log in,
20 but a workmate of mine installed a fresh copy of Hardy Heron and it
21 worked the first time. I haven't really had the time/interest to figure
22 out why it wasn't working on my Gentoo laptop.
23
24 Thanks,
25 -a
29 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list