From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Network manager for laptop
Date: Fri, 02 May 2008 15:43:18
1 On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 11:47 AM, Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2008-05-02 at 11:41 -0300, Daniel da Veiga wrote:
3 > > I've been struggling with network managing in my laptop for some time
4 > > now. There's no decent way to keep it on config files. I connect to a
5 > > LOT of completely different wired and wireless networks.
6 > >
7 > > I'm using Gnome, but I have all KDE libraries as dependencies for some
8 > > stuff. The machine is an Asus EEE 701 with an Atheros card. I'm using
9 > > ndiswrapper trying to avoid patching the madwifi drivers, waiting for
10 > > the official commit. My first try was NetworkManager, beautiful tool,
11 > > allowed me to manage my wired and open wireless connections fine, but
12 > > once I need WPA for wireless at the University, it failed on me. It
13 > > seems it can't talk to wpa_supplicant the right way. One possible fix
14 > > would be downgrade to version 0.5.4 of wpa_supplicant, but its not in
15 > > portage anymore, so I quit.
16 >
17 > Where does it say that the NetworkManager needs a downgraded version of
18 > wpa_supplicant? The reason that I ask is that I use NetworkManager on
19 > my laptop and it's been great.. except for at work where we use
20 > Enterprise WPA or whatever it's called. I haven't been able to log in,
21 > but a workmate of mine installed a fresh copy of Hardy Heron and it
22 > worked the first time. I haven't really had the time/interest to figure
23 > out why it wasn't working on my Gentoo laptop.
26 http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-wireless-networking-41/ath0wireless-couldnt-connect-to-the-supplicant.-511815/
27
28 But again, its one of the MANY threads, posts and questions about
29 NetworkManager and WPA around the web. The fact is, I found many
30 people with this problem, tried all their "solutions" but still no
31 game. I get the infamous "couldn't connect to the supplicant" syslog
32 error. Believe me, I spent a LOT of time trying to figure this out...
33
34 WICD had the "None" problem (must have something to do with the
35 "00:00:00:00:00" failed authentication in wpa_supplicant (wich is
36 something I must research too), that makes it annoying, but not
37 impossible to use it.
38
39 Any more suggestions?
42 Daniel da Veiga