From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How often do you reboot?
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2017 22:32:54
1 On 30/01/2017 23:46, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > I've got a couple Gentoo machines that normally run 24/7. I've
3 > learned over the years that it's a good idea to reboot them
4 > occasionally (when I have some spare time and I know they're idle)
5 > just to make they still can.
6 >
7 > I've settled on roughly once a month or so.
8 >
9 > What seems to happen if I don't do this is that some update (or
10 > perhaps just a stupid configuration mistake on my part) will render
11 > the machine non-bootable, and I won't discover it until several months
12 > later at the worst possible moment when I'm in the middle of something
13 > urgent and the power fails, or I type "reboot" into the wrong xterm,
14 > or whatever. Or maybe those things don't happen to other people...
17 I'll wager the majority of experienced folks here do much the same as
18 you, I know I do on my own boxes.
19
20 One thing I've been trying to ram in at work is regular monthly reboots
21 of all systems. You know how it goes - machine has 1000+ days uptime[1]
22 w00t! w00t!
23
24 and then the power goes off
25 and then you find the drives won't spin up because the bearings are
26 rumbling and the psu just can't deliver the oomph anymore to spin up all
27 8 drives at once
28 and then the shit really hits the fan for real!
29
30 So far I can't get agreement to do it (inertia? fear of loss of street
31 cred? idiotic product owners? I dunno...)
32 Maybe I'll sneak a monthly repeating change control in and just do it
33
34 [1] 1000 days uptime these days is stupid. All it proves is that the
35 admin is not doing kernel updates and the host probably leaks security
36 holes like a sieve
40 Alan McKinnon
41 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com