From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 2 to 3??
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 22:46:18
1 On 18 Jul 2007, at 18:40, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 >>> ...
3 >>> Linus has said it several times that he was ok with the thing Tivo
4 >>> did.
5 >>>
6 >>> And Tivo is the reason for that clause in GPLv3.
7 >>
8 >> I've seen no evidence that he said this AFTER spending a big chunk of
9 >> his own money on hardware, plugging it into his ethernet network and
10 >> finding himself frustrated by an inability to copy shows recorded in
11 >> his living room to the Tivo in his den.
12 >
13 > a) nobody is forced to buy a tivo. If you don't like it, don't buy
14 > it and you
15 > don't have problems.
16 >
17 > b) AFAIR Linus owns a Tivo himself.
18 >
19 > c) it is morally wrong to try to dictate HARDWARE licence problems
20 > with a
21 > SOFTWARE licence
22
23 I'm always amazed at how the internet enables folks to _reply to_
24 discussion points without actually _answering_ them. But I gather
25 that repeating a point three times is nearly as effective as three
26 people in agreement each making that point once, so maybe that is
27 your intent?
30 a) You ignore all the comments in other posts about the ethical
31 aspects of selling locked hardware:
32 - end-user's ownership of the hardware they purchase; is the locking
33 made clear at time of purchase?
34 - anti-competitive practices.
35 - environmental damage when obsolete locked hardware cannot be re-
36 purposed. It must be disposed of in landfill, lead solder, mercury &
37 whatnot leaking dramatically into the water table because the
38 firmware cannot be upgraded to one that actually works.
39
40 These matters are our concern whether or not we personally buy
41 Product_X. Only if you have never made a casual or uninformed
42 purchase, have never found that a product you have bought does not
43 work _quite_ as advertised will you be unable to appreciate these
44 points. As Mr Boyd Smith Jr. points out so eloquently, it is not our
45 responsibility to support Vendor_X's business model - if I find open-
46 source code running on a device I have purchased I have a reasonable
47 expectation that I should be able to modify that code (as the author
48 intended) and run that on the same hardware I own. Hopefully new
49 European legislation requiring manufacturers to be responsible for
50 disposing of hardware they have sold will have some knock-on effects
51 on hardware locking, but it's hardly a direct way of dealing with the
52 problem.
55 b) I never said Linus didn't own a Tivo himself.
56 What I said was that he might see things differently were
57 "Tivotisation" to _cost him personally_ time, inconvenience,
58 frustration and expense.
59
60 I can't determine in what circumstances this might actually occur,
61 but I know I'd be shouting blue murder to the rafters if I wrote
62 thousands of lines of code, gave them away for free for anyone to use
63 and then some bugger sold that software back to me and prevented me
64 from changing it when I needed to.
65
66 The active part of the last sentence is "when needed" - we can
67 discuss this forever on the internets, it's all nice and arty & farty
68 to talk about morals & philosophies of freedom & software licensing
69 but I challenge anyone not to feel offended when those ideals have
70 kicked you in the teeth.
73 c) WTF!?!?!? Can you justify this statement?
74
75 Stroller.
85 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list