From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 2 to 3??
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 23:56:59
1 On Donnerstag, 19. Juli 2007, Stroller wrote:
2 > On 18 Jul 2007, at 18:40, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 > >>> ...
4 > >>> Linus has said it several times that he was ok with the thing Tivo
5 > >>> did.
6 > >>>
7 > >>> And Tivo is the reason for that clause in GPLv3.
8 > >>
9 > >> I've seen no evidence that he said this AFTER spending a big chunk of
10 > >> his own money on hardware, plugging it into his ethernet network and
11 > >> finding himself frustrated by an inability to copy shows recorded in
12 > >> his living room to the Tivo in his den.
13 > >
14 > > a) nobody is forced to buy a tivo. If you don't like it, don't buy
15 > > it and you
16 > > don't have problems.
17 > >
18 > > b) AFAIR Linus owns a Tivo himself.
19 > >
20 > > c) it is morally wrong to try to dictate HARDWARE licence problems
21 > > with a
22 > > SOFTWARE licence
23 >
24 > I'm always amazed at how the internet enables folks to _reply to_
25 > discussion points without actually _answering_ them. But I gather
26 > that repeating a point three times is nearly as effective as three
27 > people in agreement each making that point once, so maybe that is
28 > your intent?
31 > a) You ignore all the comments in other posts about the ethical
32 > aspects of selling locked hardware:
33 > - end-user's ownership of the hardware they purchase; is the locking
34 > made clear at time of purchase?
35 > - anti-competitive practices.
36 > - environmental damage when obsolete locked hardware cannot be re-
37 > purposed. It must be disposed of in landfill, lead solder, mercury &
38 > whatnot leaking dramatically into the water table because the
39 > firmware cannot be upgraded to one that actually works.
42 if somebody buys locked hardware, it is his own freaking fault. Or could
43 ANYBODY claim to be surprised by say Tivo?
44
45 Plus, people who are discussing 'ethical' problems with locked hardware tend
46 to forget, that there is enough hardware out there that a) needs an update
47 once in a while but b) has to be temper proof by the user! You might want to
48 read up about clinical equipment or FCC rules. Just for fun.
49
50 Also, the new ROHS rules make pretty sure that hardware does not survive for
51 long - and most hardware - shocking news, is recycled today because of the
52 precious metals used in it. So no landfills, if you dispose the hardware
53 correctly.
54
55 [removed a lot of preaching]
59 > b) I never said Linus didn't own a Tivo himself.
60 > What I said was that he might see things differently were
61 > "Tivotisation" to _cost him personally_ time, inconvenience,
62 > frustration and expense.
63
64 if that would be the case he would not have bought a Tivo...
65
66 and why does a temper proof box cause you 'frustration'?
69 > I can't determine in what circumstances this might actually occur,
70 > but I know I'd be shouting blue murder to the rafters if I wrote
71 > thousands of lines of code, gave them away for free for anyone to use
72 > and then some bugger sold that software back to me and prevented me
73 > from changing it when I needed to.
74
75 well, Linus lives the open source. Tivo gave back the modifications they did
76 to the community so he is satisfied. Maybe Linus is just a little bit less
77 self centered than others?
80 > The active part of the last sentence is "when needed"
81
82 and when do you 'need' to hack a tivo? And why do you buy one when you need to
83 hack it?
84 There are other solutions where the vendor does not lock the users out from
85 tempering - buy them instead of a Tivo and stop whining.
88 > - we can
89 > discuss this forever on the internets, it's all nice and arty & farty
90 > to talk about morals & philosophies of freedom & software licensing
91 > but I challenge anyone not to feel offended when those ideals have
92 > kicked you in the teeth.
93
94 who kicked whom? So far most of the kernel people who should be concerned with
95 Tivo were pretty cool about it. Only the FSF and some of its fans, made a lot
96 of noise.
101 > c) WTF!?!?!? Can you justify this statement?
102 >
103 > Stroller.
104
105 yes. But why should I? Linus' did it several times and he did it a lot better
106 than I can ever do it. Just use google.
107
108 Some people need to realize that there is a fundamental difference between
109 code and hardware. And telling someone what he can do with HIS hardware is
110 just wrong. You don't like the terms of the hardware vendor? Fine. Don't buy
111 it. But buying it and than complaining is just lame.
114 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list