From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Linus Torvalds on systemd
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 05:20:44
1 On 18/09/2014 02:12, Alec Ten Harmsel wrote:
2 > Mark David Dumlao wrote:
3 >> The code is out there. Freely available. Both systemd and sysvinit.
4 >> If you wanted to measure both, you could, literally, in the time it
5 >> took since you first posted in this thread till now you could have
6 >> measured several times and left mean comments about whichever
7 >> system you hated the most.
8 >
9 > Unfortunately, the systemd guys keep screaming that systemd is faster,
10 > and burden of proof is on the party that's claiming something. It's not
11 > James'/Volker's responsibility to prove that systemd isn't faster.
12 >
13 > That said, you guys need to stop flaming. If anything, it's easy to
14 > dislike SysVInit because the init scripts it uses are piles of bash,
15 > compared to a Systemd init script that has a handful of systemd config.
16 >
17 > Is systemd starting to encompass too much? I think so, but who cares? If
18 > we want an init manager that reads systemd-like files but doesn't do
19 > anything else (hostnamectl, logging, udev, etc.), I guess we'll have to
20 > make one.
21
22 or trim it back. Conceptually, it shouldn't be too hard to remove those
23 extra services leaving only an init manager.
24
25 Reading posts over the years (I don't use systemd) most of that stuff
26 can be disabled by config in systemd anyway
32 Alan McKinnon
33 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com