From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE plasmashell and wallpapers.
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2019 09:54:06
1 On Tuesday, 24 December 2019 06:40:13 GMT Dale wrote:
2 > Howdy,
3 >
4 > It seems plasmashell and wallpapers for the desktop has a problem. I'm
5 > not sure if it is just me or if it could affect others. Either way, I
6 > have no idea how to fix it. I have a LOT of wallpapers that I've
7 > downloaded/collected over the years. Some are NASA pics of Mars, stars,
8 > galaxies and a whole lot of others that I've accumulated over the last
9 > 15 years or so. According to Dolphin and the properties box, it's well
10 > over 100,000 of them.
11
12 WOW! A rather large number I would think.
15 > I have them all in a directory named, wait for
16 > it, wallpapers. Under that they are sorted in directories by what they
17 > are, where they come from or whatever. I try not to go to deep but it
18 > does pick up at least two or three levels deep. I've had it set that
19 > way for ages and it has always worked with the only problem being it
20 > picking them at random. Some are intended to be like a slideshow.
21 > Anyway, they added the option of doing them in different orders
22 > including a-z, which is nice. It will be nicer if I can get it to work
23 > now. ;-)
24 >
25 > Problem. When I have it set to the main directory and I login to KDE,
26 > plasmashell goes nuts. It hogs up a full CPU core and never stops.
27 > It's not exactly memory friendly either. The little panel thingy at the
28 > bottom, the thing with the clock and the pager etc, locks up tight. The
29 > clock doesn't change, you can't select anything with it or anything
30 > else. Just for giggles, I left it for half a hour or so hoping it would
31 > finish whatever it was doing but it never did. Killing plasmashell and
32 > restarting results in the same problem. Once it does that, I have to
33 > downgrade to a earlier version of plasma. While fiddling with it today,
34 > I had the idea of manually restarting plasmashell and letting it show on
35 > the screen what it was doing. Since the panel thingy won't work,
36 > neither does the clipboard so no copy and paste of the actual error
37 > itself. What it showed me tho was that the wallpapers was the problem.
38 > It said something about bad metadata for each and every wallpaper image
39 > I have stored. I can't recall the error exactly but may can reproduce
40 > it later.
41
42 Take a pic of it so you have a more precise idea what it reports and google
43 for ideas on what may be causing it. If you're on a console use tee to
44 redirect the output to a file, or use gpm to select some text off the screen
45 and paste it in a file.
48 > I suspect when the option to have them random or in order was
49 > added, something changed in the way it looks at the directory. Thing
50 > is, I have no idea how to make this work like it should with all of them
51 > enabled.
52
53 I have found the file indexer occasionally chews up CPU non-stop. I think I
54 disabled it at some point but in any case I have not noticed it chewing up CPU
55 since. Could it be the file indexer now needs to re-index all your images and
56 it falls over itself due to the number and directory depth?
57
58 Is possible to drop into a console or ssh into this PC when it's hanging to
59 see what process(es) are taking up resources in real time?
62 > My temporary solution, I pointed it to a small directory that only has a
63 > couple dozen images in it. That seems to work.
64
65 Is there a difference in the metadata of these few images compared with the
66 rest in the whole directory?
69 > Setting it to the whole
70 > directory after that tho, does the same as above. So doing a sort of
71 > reset doesn't help. Heck, at one point, I cleaned up the living room,
72 > took out the trash and did some other stuff while it was banging away
73 > with a core on my CPU. Thing never did finish.
74 >
75 > Anyone even know where to start with this? I've got it narrowed down to
76 > it being a issue with wallpapers. I just don't know where to go from
77 > here. Is it supposed to do that for some reason and I'm the only one
78 > with a HUGE collection? Surely not.
79 >
80 > Thanks.
81 >
82 > Dale
83 >
84 > :-) :-)
85
86 Some ideas in no particular order:
87
88 Compare the metadata of an image which works without crashing and one that
89 causes a crash, with exif or less. If there is no discernible difference it
90 may be the problem is not with the metadata, but with Plasma being able to
91 parse all these files and their metadata.
92
93 Gradually add images to find a number at which the problem occurs and back off
94 from there. Not a solution, but a workaround.
95
96 Another workaround, restructure the fs to have fewer layers, but keep the same
97 large number of images to see if it process them without a crash.
98
99 Do you really all 100,000 images? Is it worth keeping all of them, or is it
100 perhaps time for some house keeping?
101
102 Wait for new Plasam version to come out and perhaps report a bug if one is not
103 yet posted.
104 --
105 Regards,
106