From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE plasmashell and wallpapers.
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2019 20:28:31
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On Tuesday, 24 December 2019 06:40:13 GMT Dale wrote:
3 >> Howdy,
4 >>
5 >> I have them all in a directory named, wait for
6 >> it, wallpapers. Under that they are sorted in directories by what they
7 >> are, where they come from or whatever. I try not to go to deep but it
8 >> does pick up at least two or three levels deep. I've had it set that
9 >> way for ages and it has always worked with the only problem being it
10 >> picking them at random. Some are intended to be like a slideshow.
11 >> Anyway, they added the option of doing them in different orders
12 >> including a-z, which is nice. It will be nicer if I can get it to work
13 >> now. ;-)
14 >>
15 >> Problem. When I have it set to the main directory and I login to KDE,
16 >> plasmashell goes nuts. It hogs up a full CPU core and never stops.
17 >> It's not exactly memory friendly either. The little panel thingy at the
18 >> bottom, the thing with the clock and the pager etc, locks up tight. The
19 >> clock doesn't change, you can't select anything with it or anything
20 >> else. Just for giggles, I left it for half a hour or so hoping it would
21 >> finish whatever it was doing but it never did. Killing plasmashell and
22 >> restarting results in the same problem. Once it does that, I have to
23 >> downgrade to a earlier version of plasma. While fiddling with it today,
24 >> I had the idea of manually restarting plasmashell and letting it show on
25 >> the screen what it was doing. Since the panel thingy won't work,
26 >> neither does the clipboard so no copy and paste of the actual error
27 >> itself. What it showed me tho was that the wallpapers was the problem.
28 >> It said something about bad metadata for each and every wallpaper image
29 >> I have stored. I can't recall the error exactly but may can reproduce
30 >> it later.
31 > Take a pic of it so you have a more precise idea what it reports and google
32 > for ideas on what may be causing it. If you're on a console use tee to
33 > redirect the output to a file, or use gpm to select some text off the screen
34 > and paste it in a file.
37 OK.  This is what it spits out, one after another:
40 kf5.kpackage: No metadata file in the package, expected it at:
43 After that, it repeats the same thing with the path and name of each
44 image on the end of the above.  The only thing that changes is the file
45 name.
46
47 With that, I googled and found this.
50 https://forum.manjaro.org/t/plasmashell-freezing-after-update/76302/7
51
52 Which had this fix:
53
54 "All good, I found a solution.
55 I just cleaned all plasma configuration with rm ~/.config/plasma* and
56 logged in my session again."
57
58 I have these files located there:
61 root@fireball / # ls -al /home/dale/.config/plasma*
62 -rw-rw-r-- 1 dale users    35 Oct 16  2017
63 /home/dale/.config/plasma_calendar_holiday_regions
64 -rw-rw-r-- 1 dale users    26 Oct 16  2017
65 /home/dale/.config/plasma-localerc
66 -rw------- 1 dale users    34 Oct 10 08:16 /home/dale/.config/plasmanotifyrc
67 -rw-rw-r-- 1 dale users 11262 Dec 24 13:01
68 /home/dale/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc
69 -rw-rw-r-- 1 dale users    68 May  3  2018 /home/dale/.config/plasmarc
70 -rw-rw-r-- 1 dale users   974 Dec 23 10:40 /home/dale/.config/plasmashellrc
71 -rw------- 1 dale users   207 Mar 24  2018
72 /home/dale/.config/plasma_workspace.notifyrc
73 root@fireball / #
76 I'd think the 1st, 4th and last one wouldn't be the ones, but what do I
77 know.  I'd think the others could be something.  Still, I went digging
78 through them all.  The file plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc has
79 many mentions of wallpapers and lists directories of where they are.  So
80 far, #1 suspect.  After checking the other files, no mention of
81 wallpapers found.  I know, I could have used grep for this but . . .
82
83 OK.  I renamed the file with .old.  Logged out and back in again and
84 lost pretty much every setting I had.  No big surprise just slightly
85 annoying.  Anyway, after getting things back to being usable, I added
86 the wallpaper directory back, the monster directory, and guess what,
87 same thing.  CPU went to 100% on one core and stayed there.  Now it just
88 so happens that a friend came up to visit and we ended up talking for a
89 good hour or so.  When I came back, it was still banging away doing
90 whatever silliness it is doing.  So, we up to about a hour without it
91 completing whatever it is doing.  Do I really want to go through this
92 with every login???
93
94 So, it seem that when they changed the random only part of this to being
95 able to do them in order, they added some indexing system or something
96 without thinking about people who may have quite a few of wallpapers.  I
97 guess in the meantime, I'm going to have to whittle down the directories
98 or something.  Of course, I could add my directory for my camera pics
99 and see if it just plain blows up or something.  That would add another
100 50,000 images and push the total over 200,000 at that point.  ROFLMBO
101
102 It sucks when they improve one thing but then basically break the whole
103 thing in the process.  ROFL
104
105 Now to see what other replies I have.
106
107 Thanks much.
108
109 Dale