From: "Jesús Guerrero" <i92guboj@×××××.es>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ATI-Driver 9.6 support?
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2009 02:23:02
1 On Sat, July 4, 2009 03:58, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > On Samstag 04 Juli 2009, Jesús Guerrero wrote:
5 > I don't filter anything. Just default metalog with default settings.
6
7 I use sysklogd, that shouldn't matter much though. The config is pretty
8 standard, and certainly there's nothing related to fglrx in there. The
9 logs on a normal day are, at most, a few kb's (without fglrx+.30).
10
11 With that combo into scene, kern.log and syslog grow around 500mb each
12 filling the whole var. I need to delete these two files and restart
13 sysklogd to get some free space in /var (just in case someone around
14 has a similar problem). A quick hack on the printk code in the kernel
15 can be used though to solve all this spam. But the cpu usage doesn't
16 get any better.
17
18 I know not the reason why, but the truth is that xv wastes lots more
19 of cpu to play video when I have fglrx+.30, with or without the logs,
20 with or without patching the kernel. I really, really doubt that the
21 configuration of my system has anything to do with this, unless it has
22 to do something with some kernel setting.
23
24 > I know how the logs are filled up with 3d apps - but it is not as bad on
25 > THIS
26 > system. So what might be the reason?
27
28 No idea. But it's all fglrx spam, that's for sure. Why does it generate
29 more in my system? Well, I blame the hardware, since it's a driver who
30 creates all the spam, there are really few things that I could
31 "missconfigure", besides my kernel, that would affect it. I don't use
32 any essoteric stuff in xorg.conf, and I do not even use a compositing wm.
33
34 > sorry about that last line.
35
36 No harm done. Heat raises easily sometimes. I apologize for anything I've
37 done wrong as well.
38
39 Regards.
40 --