From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ATI-Driver 9.6 support?
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2009 01:58:09
1 On Samstag 04 Juli 2009, Jesús Guerrero wrote:
4 > > And please - the open ones aren't that bad. When did
5 > > you try them the last time?
6 >
7 > Some days ago. During months for now.
8
9 me too - with 2.6.30 and everything. 2d was very good, better than vesa. 3d
10 does not work - of course. The only reason I do not use them:
11 no powermanagment. My card becomes hot and loud.
14 > >> Who cares?!? mmmm, my /var partition gets filled with +1gb logs
15 > >> everyday,
16 > >
17 > > hm - really? maybe you have stupid logging settings? because /var/log is
18 > > 286M
19 > > here - and I never remove any log ...
20 >
21 > No. I haven't. My logs have always been perfectly sane until I've used
22 > fglrx with .30. Besides the fact that the logs don't reach the disk if
23 > you filter them don't fix anything about the real problem.
24
25 I don't filter anything. Just default metalog with default settings.
29 > >> Who cares? I do. The driver just doesn't work, these are not minor
30 > >> annoyances, as you paint them, these are big problems. And the ebuild
31 > >> should be eliminated, and the old one depending on <2.6.29 should be
32 > >> restored.
33 > >>
34 > >> I really advice to stay in .28 if you are going to use fglrx.
35 > >
36 > > and people who want to use an actual kernel punished just because YOU are
37 > > too lazy to use package.mask?
38 >
39 > And people who find these problems punished because a buggy driver has been
40 > forced into your system by emerge. Sir, the problem with logs is not mine,
41 > I've seen other persons having it. The amount of spam just depends on the
42 > use you do of the graphics card. If you use 3d intensive apps you will see
43 > how the spam grows, exponentially. At least for me it's that way.
44
45 I know how the logs are filled up with 3d apps - but it is not as bad on THIS
46 system. So what might be the reason?
47
48 Every error line are ca 200byte. To reach even a megabyte you need a lot of
49 them...
50 for some reason, even the worst kernel log file did only grow to 662k on this
51 system.
52
53 And why should I and other who really don't have problems with the driver be
54 punished because some others do?
55
56 Last time I checked (3minutes ago) they were still marked unstable. So they
57 are not forced upon you. It is your choice to use 2.6.29 or .30. And it is
58 your choice to use that driver.
62 > Maybe you should relax instead presupposing that all the bad things about
63 > fglrx+.30 are my fault. Just because it works for you it doesn't mean that
64 > .30+fglrx is a stable combo. Or... maybe everyone having problems is just
65 > idiot.
66 >
67 > > I really advice you to rethink your position before you make anti-social
68 > > demands.
69 >
70 > Thanks for your concern.
71