From: "Jesús Guerrero" <i92guboj@×××××.es>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ATI-Driver 9.6 support?
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2009 01:42:54
1 On Sat, July 4, 2009 03:17, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > On Freitag 03 Juli 2009, Jesús Guerrero wrote:
3 >
4 >> If I have to choose between one closed driver that works perfectly and
5 >> one close driver that works bad+2 open ones that simply don't work, I
6 >> choose the closed driver that works.
7 >
8 > go to nvnews - and you'll see that there are more than enough people
9 > where the driver does not work. So with amd you have 3 drivers to choose
10 > from - with nvidia 1.
11
12 Fair enough :)
13
14 > And please - the open ones aren't that bad. When did
15 > you try them the last time?
16
17 Some days ago. During months for now.
18
19 I've tried every single version of the drivers, mesa, Xorg and whatever
20 you can think of. From older to newer to live.
21
22 They simply don't work with my card. I don't want to taint the thread so
23 I will just say that one of the latest thread about that is this:
24
25 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-5789462.html
26
27 >>> Besides - if you use the ebuild, even 2.6.30 works. Yes, dmesg is
28 >>> spammed with ugly messages. But who cares? Do you really monitor dmesg
29 >>> non stop?
30 >>
31 >> Who cares?!? mmmm, my /var partition gets filled with +1gb logs
32 >> everyday,
33 >
34 > hm - really? maybe you have stupid logging settings? because /var/log is
35 > 286M
36 > here - and I never remove any log ...
37
38 No. I haven't. My logs have always been perfectly sane until I've used
39 fglrx with .30. Besides the fact that the logs don't reach the disk if
40 you filter them don't fix anything about the real problem.
43 >> the sys logger because while the files are open the space won't be
44 >> freed. The driver does that, and the rest of my programs fail. But, who
45 >> cares... The cpu usage is insane when using fglrx on .30, 60-100% on X
46 >> when I play something in mplayer, so while watching a movie I can't do
47 >> anything else, with the same fglrx version on linux 2.6.28 it takes
48 >> around 10%.
49 >
50 > root 3913 1.7 3.8 347992 195588 tty7 Ss+ Jul03 11:08
51 > /usr/bin/X -
52 > br -novtswitch -qu
53 >
54 > 1000 24706 5.4 0.3 174936 15288 pts/1 S+ 03:15 0:00 mplayer
55 > /mnt/filme/YuGiOh! The
59 > I suspect your system has other problems then the driver.
62 > Like a bad setup.
65 You are of course free to think that. I'm not going into that line
66 of discussion though. My system works perfectly ok without that fatal
67 combo, always did ;)
68
69 >> Who cares? I do. The driver just doesn't work, these are not minor
70 >> annoyances, as you paint them, these are big problems. And the ebuild
71 >> should be eliminated, and the old one depending on <2.6.29 should be
72 >> restored.
73 >>
74 >> I really advice to stay in .28 if you are going to use fglrx.
77 > and people who want to use an actual kernel punished just because YOU are
78 > too lazy to use package.mask?
79
80 And people who find these problems punished because a buggy driver has been
81 forced into your system by emerge. Sir, the problem with logs is not mine,
82 I've seen other persons having it. The amount of spam just depends on the
83 use you do of the graphics card. If you use 3d intensive apps you will see
84 how the spam grows, exponentially. At least for me it's that way.
85
86 Maybe you should relax instead presupposing that all the bad things about
87 fglrx+.30 are my fault. Just because it works for you it doesn't mean that
88 .30+fglrx is a stable combo. Or... maybe everyone having problems is just
89 idiot.
90
91 > I really advice you to rethink your position before you make anti-social
92 > demands.
93
94 Thanks for your concern.
97 Jesús Guerrero