From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Access Windows XP running in VirtualBox
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 22:59:57
1 Joseph wrote:
2 > On 03/14/09 21:54, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 > [snip]
4 >> To run it in foreground, you can start it just as before (that is,
5 >> without using VBoxHeadless) but you need to enable RDP in VirtualBox's
6 >> settings. VBoxHeadless is only for the case where you don't want to
7 >> run it in the foreground on the PC VBox is running but only to access
8 >> it through RDP.
9 >>
10 >> Note that RDP is not supported in the Open Source Edition ("ose") of
11 >> VirtualBox. Only the non-free version (but it's still "free as in
12 >> beer".)
13 >>
14 >> You can also enable the built-in RDP of Windows XP if you need
15 >> multi-user support.
16 >
17 > Well, it works I can even start the Virtualbox-ose and control the
18 > Windows XP (that is good), but:
19 > 1.) the terminal I'm connecting to has to accept my connection, is it
20 > possible to set it up so I connect to it automatically.
21 > 2.) I'm taking control of the mouse and keyboard of the remote
22 > workstation (in this case my server).
23 >
24 > What I need is to connect to the server being able to use it without
25 > taking control of the desktop mouse or keyboard.
26
27 Then you need to enable the "terminal client" service of Windows XP
28 instead (XP Professional has this). For this to work, you need to
29 disable the RDP of VirtualBox or use another port. Also, since XP's RDP
30 is a service, you need port forwarding if you're using NAT networking in
31 VBox.
32
33 You can Google on how to enable RDP/terminal services inside XP.