From: Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Removing pulseaudio
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 20:40:00
1 > > the
2 > > solution (in the GNOME developers view) is not to "remove PA", since
3 > > the goal of the project is to cover *ALL* use cases.
4 >
5 > I don't know the details of the pulseaudio implementation but I have a
6 > hunch the problem boils down to blind arrogance and ignorance on the
7 > part of the roots of the project.
10 When trying to hunt down a thread to let a guy on the OpenBSD list
11 know about Gnome 3.8 hard deps on pulseaudio. I came across this
12 sarcasm about a comment by Lennart from a fairly prominent dev that
13 adds to the idea of arrogance and ignorance possibly being a
14 contributing factor.
15
16 ________________________________________________________________________
17
18 Lennart is a funny, funny man, go check the avahi code to see how nice
19 it is.
20
21 "When working on Avahi I learned a lot about the complexities of safely
22 and reliably running and maintaining system services, and about
23 securing them as much as possible, which is particularly important for
24 network facing services like Avahi. I implemented a lot of
25 pretty nifty features in
26 this area in Avahi. For example, Avahi is still pretty much
27 the *only daemon* on a standard Linux install that chroot()s
28 itself by default."
33
34 'Write programs that do one thing and do it well. Write programs to work
35 together. Write programs to handle text streams, because that is a
36 universal interface'
37
38 (Doug McIlroy)