From: Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Removing pulseaudio
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 20:23:16
1 > the
2 > solution (in the GNOME developers view) is not to "remove PA", since
3 > the goal of the project is to cover *ALL* use cases.
4
5 I don't know the details of the pulseaudio implementation but I have a
6 hunch the problem boils down to blind arrogance and ignorance on the
7 part of the roots of the project.
8
9 Initially Lennart thought it truly would suit all including pro
10 audio users and as he has apparently stated he thinks all systems should
11 run dbus...endof. Knowing a bit about pro audio myself with my Dad
12 building his first Class A/B amp in his twenties it is not just
13 feasible but close to a guarantee that Lennart did not realise what
14 level of detail goes into pro audio including analysing cd players to
15 find they add timing issues and the windows mixer found to cause real
16 damage and need bypassing just like pulseaudio needs switching off
17 (windows being worse however). It is actually very easy to bypass on
18 Windows though, you just install whatever mixer comes with your pro
19 sound card driver.
20
21 There is nothing wrong with mis understanding the depth proaudio goes
22 to. The problem is coders should expect their software to be
23 replaceable and code with that in mind with the added benefit of
24 competition being good especially in a free software ecosystem where one
25 of the plusses has been avoiding user entrapment to make money.
26
27 As for Desktop distros, they make an understandable choice of PA by
28 default but what I especially don't understand and demonstrates the
29 dependency issue is getting much worse is why removing polkit on Ubuntu
30 means you lose.
31
32 KDE
33 Steam-launcher
34 nvidia-settings
35 pulseaudio
36 many many more..
37
38 All of which would function just fine and in most cases perfectly via
39 sudo.
40
41 Polkit tries to do two things well and fails at the second which sudo
42 does very well indeed, unfortunately many developers don't seem to
43 understand that.
44
45 Pulseaudio, well I am not sure if it is the design of pulseaudio and
46 lack of utilising universal interfaces or the programs that use it such
47 as Gnome and the packagers setting dependencies badly. Perhaps if
48 packagers were more careful there would be less work for Gentoo in
49 trying to give users choice and more reason for Gnome not to depend upon
50 a package.
55
56 'Write programs that do one thing and do it well. Write programs to work
57 together. Write programs to handle text streams, because that is a
58 universal interface'
59
60 (Doug McIlroy)