From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Removing pulseaudio
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 22:29:27
1 On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 09:38:26PM +0100, Kevin Chadwick wrote
2 >
3 > When trying to hunt down a thread to let a guy on the OpenBSD list
4 > know about Gnome 3.8 hard deps on pulseaudio. I came across this
5 > sarcasm about a comment by Lennart from a fairly prominent dev that
6 > adds to the idea of arrogance and ignorance possibly being a
7 > contributing factor.
8 >
9 > ________________________________________________________________________
10 >
11 > Lennart is a funny, funny man, go check the avahi code to see how nice
12 > it is.
13 >
14 > "When working on Avahi I learned a lot about the complexities of safely
15 > and reliably running and maintaining system services, and about
16 > securing them as much as possible, which is particularly important for
17 > network facing services like Avahi. I implemented a lot of
18 > pretty nifty features in
19 > this area in Avahi. For example, Avahi is still pretty much
20 > the *only daemon* on a standard Linux install that chroot()s
21 > itself by default."
22 > _______________________________________________________________________
23
24 I have 2 questions regarding software development...
25 1) Is the Linux Foundation paying Steve Ballmer to destroy Windows?
26 2) Is Microsoft paying Lennart Poettering and Redhat to destroy Linux?
27 They both seem to be trying their hardest.
28
29 In addition to systemd/pulseadio/avahi, he and Sievers proposed a
30 http://linux.slashdot.org/story/11/11/23/1733236/secure-syslog-replacement-proposed
31 binary-format syslog. The flak they got was so fierce that even
32 Redhat's influence couldn't push it through.
33
34 We know what we Gentoo users think of Lennart. What does he think of
35 us? See http://lalists.stanford.edu/lad/2009/06/0191.html
36
37 > So what does that mean for you?
38
39 > If you don't do RT development or doing RT development only for
40 > embedded cases, or if you are a
41 > Gentoo-Build-It-All-Myself-Because-It-Is-So-Much-Faster-And-Need-To-Reinvent-The-Wheel-Daily-And-Configurating-Things-Is-Awesome-Guy
42 > then it doesn't mean anything for you.
45 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
46 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications