From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] dual-linuxdistro-boot kernel question
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 15:50:16
1 Neil Bothwick schreef:
2 > On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 17:12:01 +0200, Holly Bostick wrote:
5 >>If, like me, you installed one distro with /boot as just a folder on the
6 >>/ partition, then installed the second using a separate partition as
7 >>/boot, then you likely have to do what I did and copy one kernel (and
8 >>associated files) to the /boot of the distro whose bootloader you're
9 >>using,
12 > You don't have to copy anything, because the kernel doesn't have to be in
13 > the same directory as the bootloader config. It's perfectly acceptable,
14 > and a lot easier to manage, if all your secondary distros have their own
15 > /boot directory, probably not a separate partition.
18 Maybe under normal circumstances it is, but SUSE really doesn't seem to
19 like booting from Gentoo's bootloader when the SUSE kernel is on the
20 other partition (not in the /boot partition my Gentoo uses). Of course,
21 the SUSE kernel doesn't like to boot from 'normal' entries, either-- I
22 recall when I was still using LiLO, that I had to physically copy the
23 SuSE entry from SuSE's lilo.conf to the lilo.conf I was actually using,
24 because just adding a standard entry to point to the SuSE
25 kernel/partition wouldn't boot SuSE.
26
27 But it's quite possible that SuSE is the only (or one of the very few)
28 distros that is that picky. And it's also possible that I did something
29 wrong so that it seemed that picky, when it really isn't (but I think it
30 really is :) ).
31
32 Holly
33 --