From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: The latest java plugin is a giant PITA
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2014 19:15:38
1 On 02/01/2014 10:30 AM, J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On Sat, February 1, 2014 16:59, walt wrote:
3 >> I admit that Oracle finally did something right by requiring a white-list
4 >> of all java websites you want to use, but it's taken me all morning to
5 >> understand how to do it.
6 >>
7 >> AFAICT, the only way to white-list a website is to use the Java Control
8 >> Panel (jcontrol) and type the full URL including the http:// or preferably
9 >> the https:// if you don't want a nag screen.
10 >>
11 >> For example, here's a site I visit every morning:
12 >>
13 >> http://www.goes.noaa.gov/goes-w.html which lets me watch a java-powered
14 >> image loop of the weather over the Pacific Ocean.
15 >>
16 >> Now I click on the button to animate the image, and I get a pop-up saying
17 >> that this untrusted website wants to do something awful and refuses to let
18 >> it run java, period. No explanation of how I can 'trust' the website.
19 >>
20 >> How many people are going to figure out they need to run the Java Control
21 >> Panel and manually add this site to the list of trusted sites?
22 >>
23 >> And, now that I've added "http://www.goes.noaa.gov" manually, I try the
24 >> site again.
25 >>
26 >> Nope. The jar file I need is on a "different domain" (www.sdd.noaa.gov)
27 >> so now I need to add that URL to the white list <sigh> including http://
28 >>
29 >> Now, I agree that they did it right from a security point of view, but
30 >> jeez, they could have done the user interface a bit better.
31 >>
32 >> Or maybe they did it better and I haven't found it yet?
33 >
34 > If there is a better way, please let me know.
35 >
36 > The IPMI of my servers use a Java application to allow me to see the console.
37 > The errors I got have included:
38 > - You are using an old version, please upgrade
39 > - This site is untrusted / certificate is wrong
40 > - This java application is blocked
41 >
42 > The last one led me to a page actually showing me how to "fix" this.
43 >
44 > An easier way then to use the silly jconsole might be found in the
45 > following location:
46 >
47 > ~/.java/deployment/security/
48
49 WTF? No XML? ;)
52 > HTH,
53
54 Very much, thanks.
55
56 > PS. If anyone knows how to get an SSL-certificate that is accepted by
57 > this, please let me know.
58
59 I don't think I understand the question. jconsole has a button marked
60 "Manage Certificates", that's not what you want?