From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Card reader weirdness
Date: Sun, 07 May 2006 07:41:50
1 On Sat, May 06, 2006 at 12:57:57PM +0200, Thierry de Coulon wrote
2
3 > Since using Gentoo the reader apparently is not seen on boot (if no
4 > card is plugged in). When I plug a card in and try to mount it I get
5 > an error message (no such device).
6
7 > So my guess is that I am missing a small something in my setup but
8 > I can't find what.
9 >
10 > Note that this is annoying, not much more :)
11
12 I have *EXACTLY* the same situation, and I figured out what was
13 causing it, and I came up with with a workaround; I wouldn't call it a
14 perfect solution.
15
16 - My old, emergency backup machine is a 1999 Dell PIII, 450 mhz, with
17 128 megs of RAM, and USB 1.1 hardware. According to dmesg, the
18 ehci_hcd code aborts at bootup, and only the ohci_hcd code runs.
19 All my USB1 and USB2 devices run OK. Mind you, at USB 1.1 speeds,
20 maybe I should say they *CRAWL* OK. The "auto" option for filesystem
21 type works OK in both the "mount" command and in /etc/fstab. I
22 could get away with an fstab entry like...
23 /dev/sdb1 /mnt/external auto noauto,user,noatime,notail 0 0
24 and simply "mount /mnt/external", regardless of what I hooked up to
25 the USB port.
26
27 - My relatively new AMD64 (in 32-bit mode) has USB2 hardware. I built
28 both ohci_ocd ehci_ocd into the kernel. I experienced the following
29 symptoms...
30
31 - USB1 devices were totally flakey, sometimes they would show up as
32 /dev/sdb1, and sometimes they wouldn't. When it didn't show up...
33
34 > However, if I open a shell, fdisk the device, quit fdisk and close
35 > the shell, I can mount the card...
36
37 would usually work, but not always.
38
39 - USB2 devices would show up OK, and run at USB2 speeds, but "auto"
40 would *NOT* work as a filesystem type with either /etc/fstab or the
41 "mount" command
42
43 After a lot of screwing around I came up with the following workaround.
44 - build ohci_hcd into the kernel
45 - build ehci_hcd as a module. Do *NOT* auto-load the ehci_hcd module.
46 - write local udev rules to generate symlinks for my USB devices.
47 /etc/fstab has entries that mount the symlinks, and those entries
48 specify the filesystem type. I use "msdos" for my camera's memory
49 cards, "vfat" for my mp3 player, and "reiserfs" for my backup drives.
50
51 Run in USB1.1 mode most of the time. When I'm backing up my hard
52 drive to a USB2 drive, and I want the extra speed, I run the commands
53 modprobe ehci_ocd
54 udevstart
55
56 ...before I plug in the backup drive. When I'm finished, and have removed
57 the backup drive, I run the commands
58 rmmod ehci_ocd
59 udevstart
60
61 ...and I'm back to where I was before. It's not perfect, but it works.
64 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
65 My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca
66 --
67 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list