From: Alec Ten Harmsel <alec@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] automated code validation
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2014 19:36:11
1 On 12/04/2014 02:02 PM, Alex Brandt wrote:
2 > Hey James,
3 >
4 > I've removed the original content for length but I love the
5 > ideas you've put together for an overarching testing strategy.
6 >
7 > I've begun work on a small ebuild testing framework, etest [1],
8 > that I believe fits into your model quite well. It uses docker
9 > images for isolation and repeatability. It allows developers to
10 > verify the install time and some run time behavior of ebuilds in
11 > an automated fashion. It's also extremely alpha and I find new
12 > issues every time I use it.
13 >
14 > That all being said I would love feedback and if anyone is brave
15 > enough to use it I would love to start cataloging issues that
16 > people find in github.
17
18 This looks awesome. I don't want to commit too early, but after this
19 semester is over I think I can run it on a few ebuilds (inside Jenkins)
20 and help fix issues.
23 > James, if this doesn't fit your vision then I apologize for the
24 > tangential reply to your thread.
25 >
26 > [1] https://github.com/alunduil/etest
27 >
28 > Thanks,
31 It'd be cool if Gentoo had some sort of automated workflow (with
32 Jenkins, buildbot, whatever) like this:
33
34 1. Receive pull request
35 2. Detect changed ebuild
36 3. test ebuild with etest
37
38 This will take a lot of work to set up, and depending on how my workload
39 is next semester, I would love to help out as much as possible.
40
41 Alec