From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Setting up fetchmail to feed postfix
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2017 17:30:30
1 On Fri, Nov 24, 2017 at 11:16 AM, Ralph Seichter
2 <m16+gentoo@×××××××××××.net> wrote:
3 > On 24.11.17 16:39, Peter Humphrey wrote:
4 >
5 >> I'm trying an evasion, which is to use fetchmail to retrieve emails
6 >> from my ISP and deliver them to postfix, which can then serve them
7 >> via IMAP.
8 >
9 > Postfix is an MTA and does neither store email nor lets you access email
10 > via IMAP. There must be an IMAP server in your mix somewhere (e.g.
11 > Dovecot or Courier).
14 While Postfix certainly won't serve up email via IMAP it definitely
15 does store email. You are correct that you'd run a separate IMAP
16 server. They need not be on the same host assuming they can both get
17 at the maildirs.
20 Rich